Managing the chronic pain that accompanies cancer can be difficult for many patients. Typically, conventional medicine treats cancer pain with morphine, codeine, and other narcotics. These drug therapies do offer relief from the chronic pain associated with cancer, but that relief comes at a price. Pain relieving narcotics often come with dangerous side effects which can be injurious to the patient’s health, and in many cases can actually suppress the body’s natural healing abilities. Most of these narcotics are also extremely addictive, and many cancer sufferers are rightfully concerned about becoming dependent upon their pain medication. Consequently, an ever growing number of cancer sufferers are looking for alternative, all natural, techniques for managing their chronic pain.
The Importance of Natural Pain Management
Natural pain management is about more than simply finding relief from the chronic pain associated with cancer. Extended periods of chronic pain can lead to anxiety, sleeplessness, and depression, all of which can seriously detract from the body’s natural healing process. By utilizing the following all natural pain management techniques, cancer sufferers can find relief from their chronic pain without resorting to the often dangerous narcotics used by conventional medical practitioners. These techniques also allow patients to realize a sense of control over their personal health, which promotes a positive mind body interface that is so important to natural healing.
Natural Supplements to Combat Chronic Pain
There are many all natural herbal supplements that can be taken to combat the chronic pain associated with cancer. These substances provide the pain relief cancer sufferers need, without the harmful side effects of conventional drug regimens.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a spice commonly used in many Indonesian and East Indian dishes. It is rich in Curcumin, which is both a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Curcumin’s anti-inflammatory properties help to block enzymes that cause swelling and pain. In addition, its antioxidant properties help to destroy free radicals, thereby inhibiting the reproduction of cancerous cells and the growth of tumors.
- Ginger – Ginger has been used for centuries as a natural treatment for nausea. Cancer patients often suffer from a lack of appetite caused by frequent bouts of nausea, and ginger can help to settle the stomach. Like Turmeric/Curcumin, Ginger is also an anti-inflammatory, and can help with general pain relief.
- Oregano Oil – Oregano Oil is rich in Carvacrol, and has an effect on the body similar to Morphine, but without the side effects. Oregano Oil should only be taken on a full stomach, and should be certified organic.
- Cayenne Pepper – Hot Chili Pepper powder, taken in water, has been shown to reduce the chronic pain associated with cancer by as much as 80%. The pepper powder and water mixture should be taken three to four times daily for best results. This mixture has also been shown to increase appetite and relieve depression, both of which are vital for cancer patients.
The Mind-Body Approach to Chronic Pain
In addition to herbal supplements, there are a wide range of mental exercises that can help to relieve the chronic pain associated with cancer. The mind-body interface is a powerful tool in coping with, and managing, chronic pain. Even conventional medicine is beginning to acknowledge the power of the mind-body connection.
- Living fully in the moment – If you were to be in tremendous pain and I said to you can you stand in this pain one second, your response would be yes but not much more than that. So that is the answer. Live one moment at a time trusting in God to be your answer to every question, problem or pain that is present.
- Prayer – The spiritual path to being pain free cannot be overestimated. Prayer, and meditation on God’s word, can bring about an inner sense of calm and well-being that allows patients to free themselves from the chronic pain associated with cancer. Cancer sufferers should set aside time each day to meditate on God’s word. Prayer is listening to God speak Truth to your heart. Once the Truth has been revealed then balance between the spirit, mind and the body can occur. This sense of calm and well-being will inevitably lead to relief of physical and mental/emotional pain.
Cancer sufferers must all come to terms with the chronic pain that accompanies the disease. An all natural approach to pain management offers the relief cancer patients are looking for, without the dangerous and often debilitating effects of conventional drug therapies.