Facts about Digestion:
60 million Americans have heartburn
35 million Americans have irritable bowel syndrome 60 percent to 65 percent of whom are female
90% of Americans have leaky gut syndrome and increased intestinal permeability
90% of Americans have some form of constipation
Over 40% of people in the U.S. report having more than one digestive symptom per month with women being higher than men
In actuality it is closer to 90% if you account for ALL the symptoms
The 4 Most Common Digestive Disorders that Afflict Americans:
- Leaky Gut Syndrome/subtle maldigestion/malabsorption-90+% or 200 million Americans have it
- Constipation 90 % of Americans have some form of constipation
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome-20-25% or 67 million
- GERD (gastric esophageal reflux disorder)-10% or 20 million
Signs of Maldigestion/Malabsorption:
Signs of Not Digesting Carbohydrates
- Crave sugar
- Dry everything; eyes, nose, mouth even when you drink water.
- Respiratory problems-asthma
- Muscle weakness
- Cannot think clearly or concentrate
- Person may startle easily
- Difficulty swallowing
- Voice changes when under stress
Signs of Not Digesting Proteins
- Crave protein
- Cold hands and/or feet
- Do not like to exercise – stay sore
- Heal slowly
- Gums bleed
- Weakened immune system
- Increased body secretions – edema, perspiration, salivation, tears
- Menstrual problems
Signs of Not Digesting Fats
- Crave fats, oils
- Dry skin
- Respiratory problems – asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, COPD
- Difficulty getting pregnant
When you do not digest your blood becomes SLUDGE and causes
- Low oxygen
- Low nutrients
- High toxins
Cancer, bacteria, viruses, parasites, and fungi grow in undigested protein and sugar.
What is Leaky Gut?
Leaky Gut Syndrome
Leaky gut is exactly what it sounds like. The intestinal tract is like a fine screen or mesh, which only lets nutrients of a certain size through. The nutrients then pass into the hepatic portal blood vessels, which can bring nutrients to the liver, your chemical detoxification plant.
In a leaky gut condition, the intestinal tract becomes inflamed and the selective permeability (letting only digested food particle through) breaks down. This allows the passage of not only normal digested nutrient building blocks (amino acids, fatty acids and simple sugars from carbohydrates), but also the passage of larger food particles, like larger chain proteins, fats and carbohydrates, and toxins that were never meant to pass through. This can be likened to a window screen. If the screen is functioning properly with no holes in it, air will pass through, but the flies, mosquitoes and other bugs will not. In leaky gut, the intestinal barrier becomes inflamed. Instead of only letting the digested broken down food particles through, the larger food particles and toxins enter, causing the immune system to become weakened and over stimulated. This is like the screen that now has tears, making larger holes that allow all types of insects to get through.
This presents a few problems.
Larger chain proteins can trigger not only intestinal irritation and inflammation, but also all kinds of allergies, immune and autoimmune problems, and inflammatory joint conditions like rheumatoid arthritis.
Leaky gut can also result in toxicity, since toxins leak through the “screen” of your intestinal wall (because of the larger holes produced by the inflammation). These toxins ultimately end up in the liver, your chemical detox plant. Unfortunately, your liver is then overburdened, and the toxins end up circulating throughout the body, causing havoc wherever they go. If the toxins deposit in the brain, you might have foggy thoughts, possible memory loss and/or confusion, and even the start of neurological disease like multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s disease. If the toxins deposit in the joints, you will have arthritic-type pains. If the toxins deposit in organs that produce white blood cells (WBCs), your immune system will be weakened, making you more susceptible to illness, including cancer.
What causes Leaky Gut?
1. Stress causes lack of blood flow into the organs, including the bowel, which can result in leaky gut.
2. Food allergy/sensitivity is probably the largest daily cause of leaky gut in America. Big allergens are dairy, animal products and wheat- anything you eat cooked day in and day out becomes an allergen.
3. Parasites can be found in all of us, especially intestinal parasites. They come mainly from beef, chicken, fish and pork, but they are everywhere.
4. Poor diet, usually manifested in eating food that is highly processed or preserved, or high in fat or sugar or animal content.
5. Toxic heavy metals—like metallic lead, mercury or cadmium—cause irritation to the intestinal lining.
6. Drugs have many side effects 7-500 that can result in poor assimilation. Drugs kill the normal flora of bacterial growth in the bowel, allowing pathogenic bacteria to grow back in a greater proportion. Candida, or yeast, also overgrows the bowel, causing leaky gut. Other drug side effects are corrosion to the gastrointestinal tract, causing the inflammation and leaky gut.
7. Eating or Drinking Toxic Food containing Chemicals and/or Toxins. When we eat or drink food containing chemicals or toxins this directly causes intestinal lining irritation and inflammation which leads to a leaky gut. This is primarily animal products, dairy. More toxins as you eat up the food chain at least 16X more.
8. Eating acid pH forming food causes stress on the digestive tract and on your total health. This cooked animal /dairy products and refined sugars and flours
9. Eating dead or deficient food causes very poor digestion because once you cook the food, the enzyme content of the food is destroyed This not only causes leaky gut but also greatly reduces one’s total health.
Leaky gut is probably the second greatest cause of sickness and disease after mental/emotional stress because it is the greatest physical cause of INFLAMMATION. It is interesting to see that even in young, healthy children the first system to show negative physiological changes is the digestive system.